Friday, January 18, 2013

CVS's newest clusterf*ck: WeCARE

So by this point the entire company has been converted to the newest brainchild of the CVS Ivory Tower boys-WeCARE. The motto was something along the lines of "Helping us work more efficiently. So we can care more", or some such bullshit. This is somehow meant to convince us that because of this new workflow we will have all sorts of extra time to actually take care of customers. This philosophy, while certainly an ideal, is also completely unattainable from this new workflow. It has meant more pressure on the techs and the pharmacists to reach more time-related goals, all the while doing it with fewer hours budgeted. Let's not even talk about the fact that since the program rolled out the system has crashed at least half a dozen times, leading to countless hours company-wide where we were unable to service ANYONE IN ANY MANNER, Tell me how this helps us "care more."

The situation as I see it is that the workflow in a pharmacy is a little like transferring liquid from one gallon bottle into another gallon bottle by using a funnel. The problem was the receiving bottle (representing the customers) wasn't filling up fast enough from the feed bottle (representing the prescribers) because the capacity of the funnel (representing the pharmacies) was limited, Now logic would tell you that if you want to eliminate the slowdown you would increase the capacity of the funnel (put more personnel in the pharmacy). However, the fucking geniuses at corporate have reasoned that the way you improve the flow is to pour the liquid faster out of the feed bottle. Anyone who has ever tried this method realizes soon enough what happens when you do that--you spill shit all over the table.

Now add to this fabulous formula the fact that they have actually REDUCED the capacity of the funnel. Technician hours have been cut across the board by 10%, no doubt due to the notion that the new workflow is SOOOOO much more efficient that they don't need as much help. Where they came up with the conclusion that the system works better is a mystery to us all. One thing we know is it didn't come from the system developers' vast experience working in the stores. They are in the Ivory Tower and they have absolutely no fucking clue as to what it's like in the stores. All they know is that they spent millions of dollars developing and implementing this program and they have to find some kind of cost savings to justify it, so they cut labor hours to pay for it.

Once again what's going to happen is that everything will just slide along as is until there's some tragic event that comes from the fact that the new system puts more pressure on the stores to perform more work faster with less personnel. When people start dying because of the added pressures that the system puts in the stores then they might take a look at it. More likely is the real possibility that they will do whatever they need to to blame in-store personnel. They will never look at their own house to discover if perhaps things could have been done differently, In the past the operating philosophy has been to try to deflect blame. I remember a few years ago there was a death related to a mis-dispense and the company released a statement the press in a question and answer format. When they got to the question of "Does CVS time their pharmacists?" the answer was classic dance-around-the-truth bullshit where they tried to give the impression that pharmacists aren't timed or measured on their time. Anyone who knows the stores knows that nothing could be further from the truth. The whole bonus system for pharmacists is based on speed, not accuracy. The new workflow brings this into sharp focus.

More work being done faster by fewer people--a corporate manager's wet dream. A recipe for disaster in a pharmacy, however.

10 comments:

  1. Because the pharmacist does not have enough to do, WeCare requires the QV person to type phoned-in rxs, pick up voice mail in less than 15 minutes, enter from the QT which assigns a TEN minute process time to "acute" prescriptions, and run to drop off or pick up if more then 3 patients are in line. Oh, and make those PCQ calls. ALL these tasks are monitored and timed and, you are correct, whoever says they are not should have their pants on fire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angrytech11,
    After reading your insightful posts it frustrates me more that a person of your intellect is being ignored and treated so poorly. You make all valid points. The funnel is a great representation of how the stores are operating. When you push for a better explanation to the decrease in tech hours you find out it really has nothing to do with the system being faster (farce)... it has to do with decreased reimbursement rates from third parties. The problem i have with this explanation is that CVS is recording record profits.....???.....Even if you do need to make cuts because of decreased reimbursement rates it seems to me you would not cut the most important part of your business...customer service! There is so much waste at the store level that could be cut out that would eliminate the need for cutting tech hours but the problem is that it takes a brain and time to do it. Cutting hours is easy and fast with immediate results seen in the profit column. One such example if having the pharmacist pre-check scripts before they get sent to production....this would eliminate time needed for editing and also decrease paper use. I think about how much paper products and bottles are used on things that I simply edit due to an early fill or directions or whatever and then that label is thrown out and the prescription has to be filled twice. This is just one simple example but there are hundreds of ways to make the pharmacy more efficient but none of them include cutting tech hours. Another option would be reducing saturday night hours in the pharmacy by 1 hour. If the pharmacy closed at 6 or 7 on saturday (some are open till 8 or 9) you could save roughly 70 dollars in labor alone which is roughly 5 tech hours a week. Anyways its not just CVS. RiteAid and every other corporation is not any better. Its the way of the retail world. The best you can do is put up with the corporate bullshit and asshole customers knowing that even if you only really help 5 customers every day in a meaningful way that they are someone's mother, grandmother, etc. Goodluck with your store and to all cvs employees that are going through these ridiculous times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words. I've been trying very hard lately not to let the jerks get to me, because I really like those instances when I can help someone who both needs it and appreciates it. It helps to make up for the other 95% of people I encounter.

      Delete
  3. Point is they don't care!!! Maybe if they cut the job of the people sitting somewhere trying to come up with the stupid ideas and give that $$ to help better staff the store, so that the CUSTOMER can be helped efficiently everything run smoothly!!! Between all the calls and all the questions CVS has you make, go thru and ask it is borderline harassment/invasion or privacy!!!! The brilliant market ploy some company will come up with will be called "simple" and it will be exactly that, not a million questions and calls!! People now days just do not want to keep being bothered!!! And it will drive them away. End of story

    ReplyDelete
  4. Angrytech: You make great points in your blog. Most CVS Pharmacists won/t admit to the severity of the pressures that are placed on them by CVS corporate. If you would ever like to discuss these issues off line and serve as a legal consultant, please post a reply and we could arrange to get in touch with one another. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well unfortunately (or fortunately, depending one's viewpoint) I will no longer be posting here because after nearly a decade I got out from under CVS's jack-booted foot and have found gainful employment elsewhere. If you are really looking for a disgruntled employee who can act in some capacity I am sure you wouldn't have to look very far. Pretty much every store has them, because every store is put under the same corporate tyranny. Good luck with your endeavors.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations, angrytech, on your new job. That had to be a relief. It is actually difficult to find someone willing to talk about these problems. Everyone still at CVS seems to follow the corporate line. If you or any other former CVS pharmacist would be willing to talk, please call Trent at 770-457-9222.Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well part of the issue is that no one can take the chance that discussion about the problems with the company will be held against them. Time and experience have proven that CVS not only doesn't give a shit about the opinion of their employees but that voicing your displeasure will only get you in trouble. Unless one can afford to lose one's job it's best to keep quiet in public, and vent in forums line this. For instance, my first thought when I saw your comment was that you were a corporate mole who was trying to draw out my identity so you could drop the hammer on me. I have no way to know otherwise, so why would anyone risk the exposure. A sucky job is better than no job at all. If you are in fact interested in helping employees out I wish you luck. God knows CVS corporate could use a little shake-up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They keep decreasing the technician's hours and don't care if the Pharmacist has to work hours by themselves after the Pharmacy closes. They get free work from them. They don't care if their Pharmacists are overworked. You have to ask, why cut a technician's hours---they don't make near what they should anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've filled four complaints against the pharmacy in general. The last complaint which was made because the main pharmacist in charge was on vacation so, of course there was another “temp pharmacist”. I came in 1 day before my refill was due and as the pharmacy technician like always has to ask the pharmacist “temp” at this moment and its a C2 controlled substance. I know that They have the medicine in stock but after the temp pharmacist looked at my prescription, without even looking by checking the safe where the regular full pharmacist has to go to fill it. He bluntly lied to my face and informed me that he didn’t have that prescription in stock and like the majority of pharmacist assumed I’m some drug seeking addict.. But, anyways I first informed him that sir, you do I fact have it in stock as the main pharmacist keeps it in stock as I get it filled every month. I then continued to direct him to please actually open the safe under you and actually look. Guess what…? He has it!!! Go figured right. Then, as I’m still standing there with people other customers behinde me, he looks at my prescription and looks at the bottle of medicine that he said he did t have then looked at me and loudly asked from the middle of the pharmacy area ” WHAT ARE YOU GETTING TREATED FOR??” He DID NOT ASK ME TO come to the CONSULTANT DESK and I was already embarrassed by the way he was treating me then I had to loudly answer back where everyone else in line and also picking up their rx in another line could hear and know all of my medical problems and personal health and private information. After I told him what I was getting treated for he finally filled the rx..of course I had to wait over 30 minutes as I’m sure he wanted to verify the rx whih is TOTALLY fine with me and should have either done that in the first place and or ask to see me at the consultation desk and ask me what I’m getting treated for. I’ll never forget this and nener forgive cvs for this..Tim the temp pharmacist was in the wrong, violated my
    Hippa rights, and treated me unjustly. After I left I was mortified, embarrassed, depressed that I had to go through this. I looked up if there was anything I could do and I got advice from pharmacist Steve stating to file a complaint regarding CVS ciolsting my hippa rights and also I filled s complaint with the Louisiana board of pharmacy. Well, after CVS got a call from a compliance officer and spoke to the main pharmacist Jessica … I got an email from the compliance officer stating he spoke to Jessica and asked her to cal me and try to resolve the issue. About an hour later I do get s call,but Jessica just says she no longer feels comfortable filling ANY of my prescriptions.

    I will continue to tell my story regarding I was treated, labeled, and punished for filling s complaint. The point of complaints is to be able to provide feedback and the store or company to better themselves and their customer service.. But, now I have to drive about over an hour round trip to get my prescriptions now. Lawyers tell me that it would cost me more money to possibly just slap them with a fine. The compliance officer and to the companies that I have submitted s legit complaint did nothing to help the consumer.

    I hope that And know I’m not the only one out there and I pray and hope that something can get done to this pharmacist and temp pharmacist along with cvs.

    Thanks for your time in reading this

    Sincerely,
    Ronnie M

    Please support your local pharmacy sand not these big chains as they don’t give a two craps about your health or you as a human being

    Re

    Cvs store

    70550 LA-21
    Covington‎ LA‎ 70433
    United States

    +1 (985) 893-7681

    ReplyDelete